After three and a half years of sailing around the world and well over 10000 nautical miles we wanted to give you a tour of our floating home as it is now. Nahoa is a 2005 Lagoon 410 owner’s version that has carried us all this way. We have worked hard over these last years to set her up for long term offshore cruising. While there is always a project list and a wish list (new high output alternators, spinnaker, new Genoa), we are very happy with our current setup and wanted to share it with you.
Our longest video to date includes a high level view of our main power, navigation and safety systems that enable us to live life off the grid. Don’t worry you also get a detailed tour of the inside of our boat and the comforts that keep us happily sailing around the world!
Nahoa has had a huge remodel since we purchased her in 2015. We have done 2 refits to get her setup for comfort and to solve our power requirements. If you want to check out the before of Nahoa you can watch our first walkthrough video here. Notice all the beautiful green has been replaced? Well that isn’t all! Below we have a list of some of the main components we have added or replaced. This list does not include basic maintenance items since those are essentially relentless. It does however cover some of the bigger items which were replaced as they broke and wore out. We have found that in the last year, as the boat turned 12-13 years old, we have had to replace more of the remaining systems. Also the previous owner had replaced standing rigging and so that is something we have not had to yet tackle, but it will come up again soon! So without further rambling, if you are curious please check the exhaustive list below and I hope you enjoy the tour.
Nahoa Full Equipment List
- Triangular cruising mainsail with 3 reefs (new 2018). A short word on mainsails with a lot of roach (the large sail area at the very top). We often find ourselves sailing in 18+ knots here in trade wind territory. At 20 knots we put the first reef in. Although square top mainsails are very popular and look sexy, we find a triangular mainsail much more practical as it is rare we have too much cloth up.
- Genoa 38 square meters (original 2005). Facnor furler new 2018.
- Spare genoa.
- Code Zero (new 2018) with roller furling
- Spinnaker – We would love one. The last one ripped several times at which point we retired it.
- Standing rigging (new 2013)
- Sailbag (new 2015)
Anchors & Equipment
- 33 kg Rocna Primary anchor. Galvanized.
- 90 meters 3/8” chain. Galvanized.
- 20 kg Danforth Secondary anchor. Galvanized.
- 1200W Lowrance windlass.
- Self draining anchor locker.
- Raymarine Autopilot ST 7001
Engine and Batteries
- 2X Yanmar 40 horsepower 3JH4E.
- 2X 130 liter stainless steel fuel tanks.
- 2X SD50 Yanmar saildrives
- 2X 3 blade fixed props. 18×15 pitch.
- 60amp Hitachi alternators.
Electrics & Electronics
- 2X 300 ah Lithium Ion batteries (600 ah total).
- Sterling 3-stage smart controllers
- 220 volt AC outlets in bedrooms, main saloon, owners office and owners bathroom.
- Raymarine Radar. 24 nautical mile range (original 2005)
- Raymarine ST60 wind instruments
- Philippi battery monitor
- Philippi water, fuel monitor
- icom M324 VHF radio
- iridiumGo satellite communications
- 2X iPads with Navionics, ovitel apps
- Samsung pad with OpenCPN
- 2X MacBooks with OpenCPN
- icom handheld VHF
- 1200 watt solar panels with Flexmax 80 controller
- D400 wind generator
- Victron 3000 watt inverter (new 2018)
- Victron 50am shore power charger (new 2016)
- Mosquito netting for all hatches & doors
- Outdoor (open cell foam) cushions for cockpit
- Gangplank for med-moor
- 60 litre / hour water maker (Aquatec)
- Force10 3 burner stove (new 2015)
- Engel deep freeze
- Galley top loader fridge
- Galley front loader fridge
- Customized island into moveable bench
- Extended countertop next to sink
- Yogurt maker, blender, food processor and a few other gadgets
- 12 cup coffee percolator
- 300 litre fresh water tank
- 40 litre hot fresh water heater
- 2X 14’ Amundson fibreglass/carbon paddle boards
- Inlatable 12’ paddle board
- Kites, kiteboards & foil board
- 2X Scuba setups
- Gas powered air compressor for scuba
- AB VL 10’6” inflatable.
- 20HP yamaha 4 stroke.
- Galvanized small primary anchor.
- Secondary stainless steel claw anchor.
- 8 pitch 3 blade prop
- Secondary 9 pitch 3 blade prop
- Ditch bag
- 4 flares
- Blood clotting kit
- Epi pen
- Handheld VHF
- Cell phone with current plan
- Spare pull cord
- Accusat EPIRB mounted near helm station
- Secondary personal EPIRP mounted on lifejacket or carried in dinghy ditch bag
- 6 inflatable life jackets
- 4 person RescYou Viking life raft (New 2016)
- Hard plastic Life ring not attached to boat.
- Lifesling attached to boat.
- Auto-activated floating man overboard light.
- Two cabins (one aft & one forward).
- Single bathroom amidships with separated head and shower.
Starboard Layout – Owners Side
- Cabin aft.
- Shower, vanity, washing machine and head forward.
- Office amidships.
- Engines under beds
2015 and 2016 Refit:
- Custom Hardtop
- Custom aft arch and 660W of solar panels
- D400 wind generator and custom mount to arch
- 600Ah lithium battery
- 50A Victron battery charger
- New bootstripes and bottom paint
- 10’6” AB Dinghy and 20hp Yamaha engine
- New Saloon and cockpit cushions and covers
- New saloon curtains and pillows
- Cockpit shade curtains, windshield and helm station cover
- New iPad and Badelf GPS puck for navigation
- Redo rudder bearings
- Engel 60L 12V portable freezer
- Magma kettle BBQ
- 3 burner Force 10 stove
- Re-seal windows, replace some hatches.
- New mainsheet, traveller
- New main and code zero
- New solar to extend to 1.2kW of solar and frame extension to house new panels on the arch
- New D400 stainless mount to accommodate larger solar array
- Replace inverter with 3000W Victron invertor
- Saloon remodel to increase kitchen counter space and rework large center cabinet into a smaller bench.
- New props to replace old ones that were slipping.
- New Ipad and Badelf GPS puck for navigation for redundancy
- Iridium Go and marine antenna
- New genoa sheets, main halyard, reefing lines, genoa furling line.
- Washing machine
- Replace broken water heater
- New water maker membrane